JellyPages.com

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Shock (Les démons de la nuit) (1977)



After some thought, I wanted to continue my trip through the 1970s with some Italian horror. Tonight’s venture was into the mind of Mario Bava, with the 1977 entry Shock (Les démons de la nuit)


Plot / A couple is terrorized in their new house haunted by the vengeful ghost of the woman's former husband who possesses her young son.


This film, the final one by famed director Mario Bava, was quite the tale. I honestly found it quite creepy and possibly one of the best paranormal / supernatural haunted house movies I have seen in a long time. Boasting the combination of atmosphere, an intriguing storyline, and some decent acting, this movie has a lot to offer. However, like many films of that era, some of the visual FX are a bit dated and come off poorly (the razor or ghost effects). Yes, this is not a Bava masterpiece, but it holds up well and delivers an effective thriller with a tinge of vintage Italian horror.


1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I liked this one too.

    Sure, some of the visual effects aren't all that great, but it works for me.

    I do question some of the issues with powers, like the stuff with the voodoo doll. I know you're not supposed to explain everything in a horror film- see 'Rasen' for why- but you could try a little bit.

    ReplyDelete