Cthulhu (2007)


After spending the day Saturday attempting to get some work done and failing miserably, I decided that I wanted to dive into some of the works of H.P. Lovecraft. After a search of my streaming services, I was a bit shocked at the lack of material available from this horror master. After some time, I settled on the 2007 indie entry Cthulhu


Plot/ A Seattle history professor, drawn back to his estranged family on the Oregon coast to execute his late mother's estate, is reacquainted with his best friend from childhood, with whom he has a long-awaited tryst. Caught in an accelerating series of events, he discovers aspects of his father's New Age cult which take on a dangerous and apocalyptic significance. 


When I saw this one streaming on Amazon Prime, I was excited. I was in the perfect mood for some Lovecraft and hoped this would hit the spot. Unfortunately, this one never came together in a way to quench my desire for something from the Cthulhu Mythos. While not terrible, featuring a few moments of creepiness, some bizarre moments that worked well, and a story that made the perfect vehicle to bring this to life, still, the movie never took off or came together in a way that made it entertaining. The performances were uneven, as was the cinematography, the political and sexual overtones weighted too heavily inside the story, and the scripting left the atmosphere behind. It really played more like a flawed comedy than a horror movie. In the end, if you are a fan of Lovecraft and anything from the Cthulhu Mythos, stay away. I know there are much better choices out there.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)