The Manitou (1978)


After taking a couple days off from Netflix or my DVD collection, I wanted to get back into the horror genre. So, as I was grinding some bones for a project for my Cabinet of Curiosity, I decided to watch something with my daughters, our selection for the evening was the 1978 horror comedy The Manitou.


Plot / A psychic's girlfriend finds out that a lump on her back is a growing reincarnation of a 400 year-old demonic Native American spirit.


Wow, I know it had been a while since I had seen this movie, but man, did I remember it differently. Yes, I knew it was silly and laughable, but it was a lot worse than I remembered. While the acting and scripting is passable, this horror comedy fails to excite. One of the features that gets to me (especially in this modern era) are the special effects. Some of them are truly top notch, while others are about the most miserable attempt at an effect (even for that age. One of the best parts is the creepy shaman, wow; short people can wield some powers. However, the not even a beautiful set of breast could rescue the ending from the cheesy sci-fi space and lightning bolt scene (not to mention the lizard, where did which come from?) In the end, it is what it is, a cheesy 1970s horror comedy. Sure, it really is quite ridiculous but there are far worse films out there than this one.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)