Waxwork (1988)


Ok, I am a sucker for Wax Museums. Ever since seeing Vincent Price in House of Wax one Saturday morning in the 1970s, I was sold. That is why it was no surprise to me that I loved the idea of the movie Waxwork when it came out. If I could, I would live in that world (I would have to be either Jack the Ripper or the Marques De Sade).


Plot/ A waxwork museum comes to town, and a mysterious man invites some teens to come to a special showing at midnight. Once inside, while viewing different exhibits, the scenes come alive and the viewer is sucked into the story being portrayed.


This is one of those movies that stick with you, if you originally saw it as a teen as I did. There was just something about it. Watching it today, I saw many of the same things in this strange movie that I saw all those years ago (not the mention the same great hommage to some Horror Classics). The cinematography was solid, the atmosphere and settings were creepy and there was blood, tension and a bit of comic relief. Yes, the plot was a bit disjointed, the script laughable and the acting was uneven, but that did not take away from the overall entertainment value. In the end, this is one of my favorite 1980s teen-driven flicks. While not perfect, there is enough to keep this in my rotation for a while (especially the unrated version).


Comments

  1. I love this movie and even like the sequel a lot. I have the double-feature DVD, which is the best deal you can get on it. No clue on whether it's Unrated or not, but it's sure bloody!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I freaking love this movie. I use to watch it with my Dad as a kid ha ha. Many years later I introduced my husband to the flick cause I could not believe he had never seen it. He is officially hooked on it as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)