Nightmare City (1980)



With the NFL Draft in full swing, it was time for a break in watching to find out what my favorite team did. With a few hours before bed last night, I watched the 1980 Italian zombie flick, Nightmare City (Incubo sulla città contaminata). Honestly, I forgot I had it in my collection as it was part of a set my daughters bought me for my birthday last year.

Plot/ In a nameless European city, a local reporter and his doctor wife try to escape from hordes of blood thirsty zombies, undead people exposed to nuclear radioactivity, while the military leaders fight a losing war of attrition against the relentless atomic zombies.


Wow, so nice to be back into my zombie comfort zone and Nightmare City is a great example of what makes Italian Zombie films awesome. This movie, while dealing with an interesting storyline, really remains a solid entry toward the end of that movie era. This film has a diverse combination of of special effects, gore, blood and scripting that is pulled together quite nicely in the end. More importantly, the ending does a great job at adding some lasting impressions in a very grindhouse/exploitation manner. Yes, the zombies are more of a hybrid type, than the traditional flesh eaters from the Romero tree that many of us love, but there is a quality in them that is outstanding. It may not be the perfect zombie film, but it is definitely worth a couple hours in an evening.



vote it up!

Comments

  1. Love Nightmare City! Great dance scene, poop faced zombies, and the finale at the amusement park is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But...was it a dream or a premonition? I've heard this film get trashed so many times before but I am a fan. I first saw it three years ago and have seen it at least 3-4 times.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)