The Ripper (1997)



From the time I was a little boy, one well-known serial killer has always intrigued me; Jack the Ripper. For years, I have read or watched every available item on Jack the Ripper and remain, like many others, enthralled by his legendary work. That was why I knew that this, The Ripper, was a must see as soon as I stumbled upon it. I have even written my own ode to Jack that was published by Realm of Horrotica or can be found on my writing blog As My Tears Run Red.


Plot / This telling of the story of Jack the Ripper focuses not on the killings as much as on the aristocratic lives of the people connected to the heir-apparent to the throne of England,who of course is the Ripper. It tells also of the investigator who dares to charge this man with such crimes, and of his love for a witness to one of the brutal slayings.


Let me start by saying that if you are looking for a documentary on Jack the Ripper this film is not for you. Yes, this thriller is a period drama loosely based on Jack the Ripper, but it is far more of an artistic endeavor than Jack the Ripper horror is. The movie is full of excellent visual style, with great use of locations, sets and costumes. These elements do a great job at transporting the viewer back to another time and make one feel as they are in Victorian England. The acting and script are both solid and do a great job at throwing in some of the truths behind the legend of Jack the Ripper. Being a made for television movie, the film does lack gore and the thrills are a bit predictable. However, this is a great film and one of the better entries into this subject.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)