Super 8 (2011)

  
I hate over-hyped movies and try my best to never go see them in theatres. However, every once in a while, a movie comes out that hits that nerve and reminds me of the blockbuster movies that I would watch in my youth. The latest to strike that chord is Super 8. With the weather outside being miserable, I decided to hit the cinema to see if my instincts were right!


Plot/ In the summer of 1979, a group of friends in a small Ohio town witness a catastrophic train crash while making a super 8 movie and soon suspect that it was not an accident. Shortly after, unusual disappearances and inexplicable events begin to take place in town, and the local Deputy tries to uncover the truth - something more terrifying than any of them could have imagined


Being a PG-13 flick, I was a bit encouraged. Usually, these movies keep it tame to draw in a wide audience, but in the end cut too much and take away from the end product. Fortunately, this movie did not disappoint. In fact, it was a lot better that I thought it would be. You can definitely feel Steven Spielberg’s influences, the flick truly going back to the days of Close Encounters and even Jurassic Park. The acting was solid throughout, and really did a great job with an outstanding script. The production values, cinematography, effects (I love the monster) and storylines are also top notch. There are some flaws, the pacing and the unneeded subplots do distract from the overall scheme, but not enough to damage the movie. In the end, this is awesome movie that honestly took me back (I could have been one of those kids making the movie). There are some moments with language, but other than that, it is a must see for the entire family.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)