The Mummy (2017)



I definitely needed something different today to watch. After spending so much time in Salem, and then following that up last night with Sleepy Hollow, I decided that I wanted something with a modern flair. After some debate, I decided on the 2017 entry The Mummy.


Plot/ An ancient Egyptian princess is awakened from her crypt beneath the desert, bringing with her malevolence grown over millennia, and terrors that defy human comprehension.


I had heard so many mixed things about this movie since its release and I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. Honestly, I am quite sorry I made the trip to rent it at Family Video. Set as the first film the Universal Studios Dark Universe, this was a huge miss and really offers little hope for what type of travesties await us with the other entries. While the casting was impressive, there was no substance behind the performances and everything (even the fight scenes) felt flat. Sure, this film was able to distance itself from the majority of the last Mummy trilogy (I did like the first one), it did not do enough and ended up taking the overall storyline in a direction that was not as entertaining and/or as memorable as it could have been. Yes, the visuals work, and the cast is what it is (although Tom Cruise again proves he is nothing more than a name at this stage), but those are the only real positives that I can pull from the time I spent watching it. The effects were average, the characters are all unlikable and do not leave any type of lasting impression, the action sequences are a mess, and again, the best scenes are in the trailer. In the end, this is a bad movie and one that should not even share a name with the classic Universal Studios take on The Mummy. If you haven’t wasted your money yet, don’t it is not worth it at all.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)