The Meg (2018)




Over the past few weeks as I have spent more time building up the Ringmaster’s Realms vintage toy store, I have found myself watching more movies as I get things ready for either the online store or the Too Groovy Toy Show in May. Of course, as usual, my selections have been uneven. That is definitely the case with this one, the 2018 entry The Meg.


Plot/ Five years ago, expert sea diver and Naval Captain Jonas Taylor encountered an unknown danger in the unexplored recesses of the Mariana Trench that forced him to abort his mission and abandon half his crew. Though the tragic incident earned him a dishonorable discharge, what ultimately cost him his career, his marriage and any semblance of honor was his unsupported and incredulous claims of what caused it - an attack on his vessel by a mammoth, 70-foot sea creature, believed to be extinct for more than a million years.


After sitting through this one the other day, I can say that my decision to wait on it was completely justified. There really is nothing in this one that makes it worth watching (unless you have a quest to watch every shark themed movie ever made). This one is bad, honestly, I have very little to say that could make it any better. The performances are uneven to be kind, the CGI is terrible, the plot is predictable and completely laughable, and the dialog is bad. It really came across as more of a shark themed chick flick than anything else. In the end, I wish that there was something more positive to say about this one, as I really wanted to like it, but honestly, it is not worth your time. Stay far away!



Comments

  1. YOU TAKE THAT BACK! THIS MOVIE IS THE GREA....yeah, no, nevermind. It's a fun movie, and I really loved the books, but they spend the first part of the movie getting most of the science, even the pseudo-science, *wrong*. There's some really inane stuff at the first of the movie that a five minute Google search would have corrected. But, if you can suffer past that, then it becomes a fun monster movie romp of Jason Statham vs. Giant Shark. Would have preferred an effort to come closer to the novels, but I don't know that I was necessarily the target audience intended for this movie.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)