The Vampire Bat (1933)


In starting the next DVD in the four-disk set, I decided to start with the outstanding 1933 classic, The Vampire Bat. I have watched this film many times and found it worth watching every time. For those that might not have seen it, here is a synopsis.


Plot/ When the villagers of Klineschloss start dying of blood loss, the town fathers suspect a resurgence of vampirism. While police inspector Karl remains skeptical, scientist Dr. von Niemann cares for the vampire's victims one by one, and suspicion falls on simple-minded Herman Gleib because of his fondness for bats. A blood-thirsty mob hounds Gleib to his death, but the vampire attacks don't stop.


While more of a thriller or mystery in today’s sense, this movie is a great knock-off on the successful run of Universal horror films of the 1930s with the ideals from Frankenstein and Dracula clearly on display throughout the script and story. While there is no vampire, or even vampire bat killing, the doctor’s contraption to skew the minds of the commoners is genius. Over all, there are times where the small budget is visible, but in many of those cases, it actually adds to the eeriness of the film. This one is definitely worth watching again! If interest, just watch it here!

Comments

  1. several years ago, I was watching the original "king kong" and a friend told me that the female lead "fay wray" was in a great scary old movie. He even had the CD and loaned it to me. I dug it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this movie a while back.
    I can't really remember it, but your review made me want to revisit it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)