Out of Darknes (2022)

Last night I had a chance to catch one of the AMC Screen Unseen events at our local theater. To me,  this was awesome,  especially being a horror film. I mean,  there is no better way to see things then before they are widely released. While this film was made in 2022, it was only released in Europe and went have its wide US release until February 9th. That movie in Out of Darkness.

Plot: About 45,000 years ago, a desperate band of early humans finds a new land to settle in. As they start to realize that something monstrous is hunting them down, they must confront a horrifying danger that they never could have imagined.

Not knowing anything about the movie I was about to watch,  I wasn't really prepared for this at the start.  While I do love watching foreign films,  I tend to skip subtitles unless I'm at home.  However,  as the movie progressed, the use of subtitles with this foriegn language film didn't bother me in the least, in fact,  I think it added to the atmosphere and tension.  While there is nothing groundbreaking in this one,  the performances,  cinematography, and overall message was entertaining; although,  I would not actually classify this movie as a horror film.  More of a drama/thriller, this one relies on the darkness and tension between the group of travelers and the unseen creatures tormenting them in the forest to create mood, and it does work.  Shot on a low budget, there is a lot to like.  However, there are some issues that jump out. The make-up, costuming, and lack of body effects don't mesh with the storyline. The gatherers are too clean, healthy, and made up to match the storyline.  What caveman has perfect teeth? Really, not an entire group.  While that's easily overlooked,  it did impact the overall feel of the film. There are also some holes in the storyline that are obvious and never really addressed, making it a bit of a head scratcher.  In the end,  this one was better than I expected, but it's not one I would have searched out.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Super Shark (2011)

Nefarious (2023)