Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key (1972)

It was definitely nice being back home in Virginia Beach, although I will say I miss the quiet that came with being in Pennsylvania. Now at home,  I wanted to do what I do every year on this day,  celebrate the birth of the great Edgar Allan Poe. This year I chose the underrated 1972 loose adaptation of the Black Cat, Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key.

Plot: Oliviero is a drunk, burned-out writer who amuses himself by hosting orgies and humiliating his wife. When a number of women are murdered in grisly fashion, Oliviero becomes a prime suspect.

This is dungeon one in a long line of "loose" adaptations of Poe's work.  Yet,  this stylized giallo is rather entertaining. This one did drag a bit and seemed longer than it needed to be,  but to me this is offset by the solid performances,  gore, outstanding soundscape, nudity, and cinematography. Plus,  it did actually have interesting dialog and eventually did venture into some of Pos's tale,  which was the goal for the day.  Sure, there is a low body count and it wasn't as eye catching as did of the giallo movies of the era,  but they didn't hurt the movie much.  In the end,  this one is definitely for fans of the genre and a fun film to stream.  Giallo fans should check it out. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Super Shark (2011)

Nefarious (2023)