Asylum (1972)



After spending the day with my beautiful and talented daughter Genesis in Morgantown today, I decided to kick back and find something interesting to watch. Incredibly, while searching Shudder, I accidentally stumbled upon a movie that has eluded me for decades (I could only remember the scenes with the tailor). That movie is the 1972 Amicus anthology Asylum.


Plot/ In order to secure a job at a mental institution, a young psychiatrist must interview four patients inside the asylum.


I love the horror anthologies put out by Amicus during the 1970s, and this one is falls in line with those. While this one may not be the best of its kind, it holds a special place in my heart, as it is the film that made me a fan of horror back decades ago. Yes, it is nowhere near as scary as I remember it as a child; this one has stuck with me (especially the story of the tailor). In fact, I have searched many years and watched many horror films trying to rediscover this one. The cast is outstanding, the performances solid, and the framing story does a great job at setting the atmosphere inside the dark and dismal asylum. Plus, with the stories coming from Robert Block, it is hard to imagine it not leaving an impression. Sure, some of the effects did not age well, and the material does seem a little tame in comparison to some of the other films of the era, but those flaws are easily overlooked. In the end, if you love the vintage anthologies from one of the best periods of horror cinema, give it a shot. It may not be the best, but it is entertaining and a fun watch.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)