Abattoir (2016)



If you have read my blog, you would now that Darren Lynn Bousman is one of my favorite directors. Not only is an alumnus of Full Sail University like me, he has also created some of the most visually appealing movies of the past decade. Between his work on the Saw franchise, Repo: The Genetic Opera, and The Devil’s Carnival, there is an artistic flare that is not usually seen in horror. Next up for review is his next movie, 2016s Abattoir, a film that I honestly believe may be his best work.


Plot/ An investigative reporter teams up with a Police officer to solve the mystery of why a seemingly good man murdered her sister's family.


I had been waiting to see this since I first heard about it, and I was not disappointed by what I found. While I can see why this movie could be somewhat polarizing, it is an interesting take on the haunted house/curse genre and is both intelligent and visually appealing. More of a slow burn, as the tension building throughout, I found myself drawn to the main characters and the storyline. The cinematography and visuals are tremendous, the performances are solid, and the atmosphere inside the film is dark and heavy. Yes, I am sure that the scripting will cause some viewers some issue with the way it embraces an almost retro feel with a prose-like style that seems more suited for a vintage film than a modern thriller and the ending is definitely one that is both somewhat predictable and refreshing, but those issues should in no way impact the overall viewing experience of watching this film. In the end, this is one of the most memorable and entertaining films to hit the shelves in some time and left me wanting more. If you have not seen it, you are definitely missing out.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)