10 Days in a Madhouse (2015)



While working on some edits on my 2017 NaPoWriMo epic poem Salvation, I decided to put on a period piece to keep my mind focused and entertained. After some debate, I decided on 2015s 10 Days in a Madhouse.


Plot/ In 1887, at age 23, reporter Nellie Bly, working for Joseph Pulitzer, feigns mental illness to go undercover in notorious Blackwell's Island a woman's insane asylum to expose corruption, abuse, and murder.


I had debated myself about this movie for a few weeks and what I found was both interesting and disappointing at the same time. While the overall story is amazing and one that must be told, the execution was not there to back up the quality contained in the story. This is extremely surprising considering the budget was larger than some of the small budget flicks I watch and the pull everything together in a robust fashion. As a whole, the film felt disjointed and confused about what direction it wanted to take, the scripting was uneven, and the performances were flat and uninspiring. In the end, it is a shame this film did not ever reach its potential. The chance was there to make something that would leave a lasting impression; instead it is another movie that has already basically been forgotten.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)