The Blackcoat's Daughter (2015)



One of the movies I caught during my absence into the softball void was one that I have heard many different things about (both good and bad). For me, that just means I have to check it out for myself. That movie was 2015 independent entry The Blackcoat’s Daughter (AKA February).


Plot/ Two girls must battle a mysterious evil force when they are left behind at their boarding school over winter break.


A couple people at Family Video tried to steer me away from this one, luckily, I held my own and rented it. For me, I in no way agreed with the synopsis they gave me, although I can definitely understand them, as this will likely be one of the more polarizing films to come out in some time. More of a psychological thriller than a traditional horror movie, this one will not be for everyone. Armed with a tremendously dark atmosphere, this slow burn builds tension throughout. The scripting is outstanding, the storyline develops in a subdued manner, the performances solid, and the cinematography matches the atmosphere and soundscape perfectly. Of course, there are some flaws with a bare-bones plot and the ending felt a touch uneven, but those are but minor flaws in the grand scheme. In the end, if you are looking for a typical clichéd horror flick this one is not for you. However, if you enjoy atmospheric and dark slow burn thriller that can leave an imprint after you watch it, give this one a shot. It is an outstanding choice.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)