Lycan (2017)



After low-budget sci-fi flick, I decided to find myself a low budget creature feature and I found it at Family Video. Wanting something a touch different than my typical selections, I decided on the 2017 supernatural/werewolf flick Lycan (AKA Talbot County).


Plot/ When six college kids in a sleepy Southern town are assigned a group project to rediscover a moment in history when one of the students sets in motion a horrific fate when he proposes they head into the Georgia backwoods to tackle the legend of Emily Burt, the Talbot County werewolf.


When I saw this synopsis on the box at Family Video, I decided to roll with this low-budget werewolf flick not knowing what t expect. What I found in this indie flick was not perfect (honestly, nowhere close), but it did have some decent elements that stuck inside my mind. The performances are uneven but decent, the cinematography was not bad, and the overall feel of the movie did remind me of my teenage years. Of course, this combination of story forms definitely took its toll, with the mixture of the werewolf, slasher, students in the woods coming across clichéd and predictable. Couple that with the complete lack of depth in the characterizations, weird casting choices, and the lack of consistency with the supernatural elements and you have a movie that is somewhat uneven throughout. In the end, unless you are dead set on a new werewolf flick, I would stay away from this one. Sure, it is not the worst movie in the genre (especially considering the budget), but there are many werewolf movies to choose from and most would make a much better selection. Be warned.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)