The Pale Blue Eye (2022)

Last night as I was finishing my work Enigma's as a remebrance of Edgar Allan Poe's birthday,  I wanted to watch something Poe related. After since thought,  I decided on the new Netflix release from 2022, The Pale Blue Eye.

Plot: Veteran detective Augustus Landor investigates a series of grisly murders with the help of a young cadet who will eventually go on to become the world-famous author Edgar Allan Poe.

I will admit,  I am a huge fan of everything Poe related, so I may be a touch biased in this review.  For,  me,  this film was a blast to watch.  The tension and atmosphere drew me in right from the start.  Everything in this period piece worked: the set, the cast, the costuming, the cinematography, the acting, and the overall feel was perfect for a mystery/thriller. For me though, as a writer, the scripting was fascinating. The way the script was written and then transferred to the screen never felt forced and everything from the dialog to the presence felt extremely natural and was something that I could see transpiring during that time period. Yes, the movie does run long for today's cookie cutter 90 minute box, which could turn some people off, and the opening sequences do move a bit slow as the characters and storyline develops, but this are the only very minor flaws (for some) that this movie has.  This is a must watch for Poe fans and a movie most mystery/thriller fans should enjoy. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)