JellyPages.com

Monday, July 10, 2017

The Blackcoat's Daughter (2015)



One of the movies I caught during my absence into the softball void was one that I have heard many different things about (both good and bad). For me, that just means I have to check it out for myself. That movie was 2015 independent entry The Blackcoat’s Daughter (AKA February).


Plot/ Two girls must battle a mysterious evil force when they are left behind at their boarding school over winter break.


A couple people at Family Video tried to steer me away from this one, luckily, I held my own and rented it. For me, I in no way agreed with the synopsis they gave me, although I can definitely understand them, as this will likely be one of the more polarizing films to come out in some time. More of a psychological thriller than a traditional horror movie, this one will not be for everyone. Armed with a tremendously dark atmosphere, this slow burn builds tension throughout. The scripting is outstanding, the storyline develops in a subdued manner, the performances solid, and the cinematography matches the atmosphere and soundscape perfectly. Of course, there are some flaws with a bare-bones plot and the ending felt a touch uneven, but those are but minor flaws in the grand scheme. In the end, if you are looking for a typical clich├ęd horror flick this one is not for you. However, if you enjoy atmospheric and dark slow burn thriller that can leave an imprint after you watch it, give this one a shot. It is an outstanding choice.


No comments:

Post a Comment