The Barrens (2012)

 
 
 
After working on a couple pieces on HAARP and Hurricane Sandy, and also spending multiple hours on twitter calling for answers in the Benghazi Incident, I decided it was time for a break. I needed it. Sure, those other two causes are tremendously important, and the mainstream media has done little to cover them, there does come a time to step back. Ironically, when I was searching for something to watch, I stumbled upon a movie about one of my favorite subjects, the Jersey Devil. What is it? The 2012 flick, The Barrens.
 
 
Plot/ A man takes his family on a camping trip and becomes convinced they are being stalked by the legendary monster of the New Jersey Pine Barrens: the Jersey Devil.
 
 
Having suffered though many creature features recently, I had low expectations on this entry. However, much to my surprise, this one was a lot better than I could have ever imagined. Armed with an outstanding storyline and some solid acting, this one was entertaining throughout. The scripting was sound, the effects on target and the cinematography was good. Yes, there were some slight pacing issues and a couple small elements that felt out of place, but those are easily overlooked. In the end, this may be more of a psychological thriller than horror, but it is entertaining and actually an original take on this great legend. If you enjoy creature features and are looking for one, check this out.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)