Chernobyl Diaries (2012)

 

After a long strange day where I felt void of energy, I found myself very unmotivated. Honestly, part of me wanted to dive something conspiracy driven, something that maybe I could look into as a side research project. Unfortunately, I did not even have that in me. So, instead of something conspiracy driven, I decided on the 2012 disaster driven Chernobyl Diaries.
 
 
Plot/ Six tourists hire an extreme tour guide who takes them to the abandoned city Pripyat, the former home to the workers of the Chernobyl nuclear reactor. During their exploration, they soon discover they are not alone.
 
 
 
I knew going into watching this one that there was no way that the idea or potential of this flick would be far greater than reality. Seriously, the real visuals from this devastated area are extremely surreal and creepy, and although it makes the perfect backdrop for a movie, it will be difficult in capturing on film. That is the case with this one; there is so much inherent potential within the idea, that there is no way to match it. More of a thriller that horror flick, there are some solid moments in this one. Yes, the acting is so-so, the characters unlikable, the scripting uneven and there next to no suspense or gore, but there is a creepiness that does come through. Sure, this one is not for everyone, but it is also not the worst choice out there.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)