The Raven (2012)

 
 
As any reader of the blog will know, I am a huge Edgar Allan Poe fan. I have collected his writings, movies based on his material and even dressed like him. Honestly, his works have inspired much of who I am. With that in mind, I could not wait to sit down and watch The Raven in the comforts of my living room. Yes, I understand these movies are often a sketchy proposition, but as a fan, you have to watch.
 
 
Plot/ When a madman begins committing horrific murders inspired by Edgar Allan Poe's works, a young Baltimore detective joins forces with Poe to stop him from making his stories a reality.
 
 
When I saw that this movie was being filmed, I was really not looking forward to it. Do not get me wrong, I love everything Poe, but I feared that this one would fall into the category of Poe inspired films that fell short. Fortunately, my fears were wrong. This movie is much better than I could have imagined and was an interesting take of the last days of the literary genius. What I really liked was the dark and graphic way they combined different parts of Poe classics. These ideas within this layered story worked well with the solid acting, characterizations, and effects. More importantly, it portrayed Poe as a human and author, and did not try to create something more than he was. In the end, this was one of the better Poe themed movies that I have seen and one that should be seen. If you have not watched it, check it out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)